6 Reasons to Feed from the Ground in a Natural Grazing Position:
- Less strain on the skeletal system and soft tissue because a horse is designed to eat with the head down.
- A natural grazing position allows the mandible (jaw bone) to come down and forward in the atlantoaxial and temporomandibular joints. This enables the mandible to move up and down, side to side, forward and back without any restriction - facilitating natural wear of teeth along with optimum mastication and reduction of particle size.
- Enables nasal passages to drain effectively thereby minimizing the inhalation of dust and particles.
- A horse’s emotional state is reflected in body position and posture. If we require a horse to eat with their head elevated, we are encouraging an alert and tense mental state.
- Eliminates the risk of hay and dust falling into your horse's eyes.
- The Standard Hay Pillows and Mini Hay Pillows® do not impair the horse's peripheral vision. If impaired, this can create tension psychologically. Horses are prey animals and depend on sight and sound to detect predators.
- Follow us on Facebook for educational daily posts.